Your hearing aids are made up of tiny components and intricate circuitry. Special care is needed to allow your devices to function optimally. Some steps you can take to ensure you get the best from your hearing aids are provided below.
Appointments and rehabilitation
- Attend ongoing appointments: including hearing tests, cleanings and tuning adjustments
- Rehabilitation: we offer hearing and communication exercises, which we recommend you take part in
- Review information: read the information we supply to ensure you understand how to use your device and what to expect from it
- Take notes: write down any questions you have so that you can ask us at your next appointment.
Practice makes perfect
- Use frequently: practice listening with your instruments until you can wear them comfortably all day
- Be patient: allow yourself time to get used to the positive changes of your device
- Practice placement: practice how to place your hearing aid to ensure it is as comfortable to wear as possible.
What to avoid
- Damage caused by wax: clean wax away each day
- Moisture and dampness: remove before swimming and showering and don’t leave in the bathroom
- Knocks: keep your devices in their case when you are not using them and hold over soft surfaces when handling
- Heat: keep in cool areas and do not leave them in the sun or car
- Chemicals: remove devices before applying hairspray or other chemicals and ensure you have clean hands when handling
If you have any issues getting used to hearing aids the best thing you can do is discuss them with us. Together we can find the solution to your concerns.
At Mackay Hearing, we take the time to ensure you feel confident in managing and maintaining all aspects of your new hearing devices (including hearing aids, FM systems or other Assistive Listening Devices). We are always happy for you to call us or visit us in our clinic if you need further assistance.
If you would like any more information on how to maintain your hearing devices or are currently having difficulties with your devices, please contact our friendly local staff directly on (07) 4952 4649 or email us at [email protected].